I am a HUGE fan of homemade toritllas. My friend Liz makes authentic mexican food all the time, and I go crazy for it. I always thought that making your own tortillas would be really hard, but... it isn't! And it only calls for a few ingredients! Here is the recipe I used thanks to
You will need:
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening or lard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 3 table spoons Hot water (not boiling)
1. In a bowl add 4 cups flour, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder and vegetable shortening.
2. With a fork cut the shortening into the flour, till it is well blended. It will have the texture of cornmeal
3. In another bowl at 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to your HOT water. Stir till salt is dissolved.
4. Add the salt water to the flour mixture in a thin stream, stir as you add the water.
5. Knead with your fist, till well blended (add a little more water if needed)
6. Dough ball will start to form
7. Place dough ball in bottom of bowl, cover with a cloth and let rest for 20 minutes
8. Split into 4 pieces, and then cut each of them into 3…. for a total of 12 mini dough balls
9. Use a rolling pin or tortilla press to press flat. Or in our case we used a cup
10. Get it as thin as you can without tearing
11. Cook on hot pan over medium/high heat 15 seconds on each side till done.
12. Total cook time of 30-60 seconds depending on pan used and temp.
WHO knew flour and shortening could taste SOOOOO good!