Friday, May 6, 2011

Homemade Tortillas

I am a HUGE fan of homemade toritllas. My friend Liz makes authentic mexican food all the time, and I go crazy for it. I always thought that making your own tortillas would be really hard, but... it isn't! And it only calls for a few ingredients! Here is the recipe I used thanks to


You will need:
  • 4 cups of flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening or lard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 3 table spoons Hot water (not boiling)

1.      In a bowl add 4 cups flour, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder and vegetable shortening.
2.      With a fork cut the shortening into the flour, till it is well blended.  It will have the texture of cornmeal
3.      In another bowl at 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to your HOT water.  Stir till salt is dissolved.
4.      Add the salt water to the flour mixture in a thin stream, stir as you add the water.
5.      Knead with your fist, till well blended (add a little more water if needed)
6.      Dough ball will start to form
7.      Place dough ball in bottom of bowl, cover with a cloth and let rest for 20 minutes
8.      Split into 4 pieces, and then cut each of them into 3…. for a total of 12 mini dough balls
9.      Use a rolling pin or tortilla press to press flat.  Or in our case we used a cup
10.  Get it as thin as you can without tearing
11.  Cook on hot pan over medium/high heat 15 seconds on each side till done.
12.  Total cook time of 30-60 seconds depending on pan used and temp.

WHO knew flour and shortening could taste SOOOOO good! 

1 comment:

  1. I am bookmarking this!
    Have you ever used Meseca? (don't know the spelling.) we made tortilla chips one night and I SO wish I would have had a press since we made a ton of chips haha!
    They were really good, but this looks good as well.
    Lard/shortning and flour was what I was raised on. It was the staple my nuderma used to cook everything in. That and Tony's seasoning :D

    ReplyDelete