Recipe yields 28 standard cupcakes
• 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 c. cake flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting*
• 1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 3/4 c. sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting*
• 4 large eggs, room temperature
• 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 c. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.
3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
4. To finish, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip (Ateco No. 809 or Wilton No. 1A)*, pipe frosting on each cupcake: Hold bag over cupcake with tip just above top, and squeeze to create a dome of frosting, then release pressure and pull up to form a peak. Using a small, fine sieve, dust peaks with cinnamon-sugar. Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are frosted; keep at room temperature until ready to serve.*
7 minute frosting (or 10-12 min):
• 2 large egg whites
• 1 1/2 c. sugar
• 2 t. light corn syrup
• 1/4 t. cream of tartar*
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Combine egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and 5 tbsp. of cool water in a heat proof bowl set over the top of a pan of boiling water.
2. Using handheld mixer, beat on low 4 mins. Beat on high 3 mins until soft peaks form. Remove from heat, add vanilla and beat for additional 3-5 mins...therefore 10-12 min frosting. Decorate cupcakes immediately