Sunday, November 21, 2010

Plain Shirt into Cardigan Tutorial

I have been dead to the world for a few days because I have been re-reading the last harry potter! Yes, I am a nerd, but we had to get ready for the new movie. SO. I finished the book and now have time to craft. I got a plain long sleeve boat neck shirt at old navy on clearance for $2.50. I thought for that price, I could come up with something to do with it. I decided to turn it into a cardigan. Here is what I did.
First I started with my plain t.

I folded the front in half so I knew where the middle would be and made a cut with my scissors

Here is what it looks like cut up the front

Then I found this great pre-ruffled trim stuff at jo-anns, so I decided that would be fun to add to one side. On the other side I just cut up a black t-shirt and made it be like bias tape and sewed it all the way on the other side.

Final Product! It's a fun little shirt. You could add any embellishments you wanted really. Just another fun idea of what to do with an old or cheap t.

34 comments:

  1. You deserve serious props for this one. This is so awesome!! I'd wear that in a heartbeat!! and not to mention, there's this cheap store beside my house (it's called Conway) and they have all short and long sleeve solid colored tees for 3.99 everyday. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AWESOME! I love it! (

    Totally going to do this soon!) You can always use another cardigan!

    I'd love for you to check out my blog!
    http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    mucho love.
    nichelle

    p.s. i'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve this! Now that I've had two babies there are so many of my long sleeve tees that are just not quite fitting anymore - what a great way to use them!

    I've got a giveaway on my blog that ends tonight (http://path-less-traveled-market.blogspot.com/2010/11/free-money-yes-please.html) - I'd love it if you entered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really cute idea. I do the same thing-- buy clothes on clearance and use them later as fabric! Why don't more people do that?!?!?!

    www.uvinyl.com
    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pre-ruffled idea! This is great! THanks for the award last week on my Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Michelle! Lovely! You have been busy! AND had time to re-read a Harry Potter book too! Where do you find the time?? Don't forget to sleep will you?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT...so cute!! I think I have a few old tshirts that need some new life breathed into them. Thank you for the inspiration!!! ^_^

    So happy I joined the party over at "These Creative Juices" today. Hope you come by to visit my whimsical world.

    Hugs,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I featured this on my TALENT TUESDAY LINK UP!!!

    http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fabulous! Thanks for linking up to Tell Me Tuesday at Vintage Pollyanna! http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2010/11/antiques-roadshow-tell-me-tuesday-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is so darling! I love it and your tutorial is wonderful!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this and I would really love it if you would link this upcycled craft to my linky party http://tinyurl.com/upcycled23.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful idea. My mind is just running ahead of me as to all of the fun cardigans I could make, good for winter and for summer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I had to reread the last book because I couldn't remember what had happened!

    Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete